Brown Bag Colloquia and Seminars
This is a list of professional opportunities offered by the unit. It does not include USS workshops, the Unity Center events, or other campus-wide opportunities.
(See sample 1, sample 2)
- 11/16/10 – STEM Center Brown Bag lunch for the Fall semester
- 3/7/11 – Andy Snyder - Brown Bag Seminar - Topic: A Certificate of Graduate Study in Teacher Leadership (CGS-TL) for the LEAD Program in CEP.
- 3/21/11 – Paul LaCava - Brown bag Series - Topic: Social Stories™: A Survey Describing Their Use in Rhode Island Schools
- 3/28/11 – Marie Lynch - Brown Bag Seminar - Special Education Program Analysis at Central Falls High School
- 4/5/11 –Elizabeth Holtzman - Brown Bag Seminar - Topic: A Class wide Holistic Program for Reducing Anxiety in Youth"
- 4/19/11 – Martha Horn - Brown Bag Seminar - Classroom-Based Professional Development in Teaching Writing: What Matters to Teachers and What Are The Implications for Teacher Ed?
- 4/25/11 – Leslie Sevey - Brown Bag Seminar - Using Pedagogical Documentation to Support Young Children's Thinking Processes
- 4/28/11 – Merete Moe Brown Bag – The Polyphonic Embodied Self
- 5/2/11 – Denise Guilbault - Brown Bag Seminar
- 10/15/09 – John Eagle presented on Family Involvement in School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (SWPBIS) Initiatives
- 11/19/09 – Lisa Owen presented on Exploring mathematical understanding in a fifth-grade inclusion classroom.
- 12/10/09 – Marie Lynch presented on a case study examining the use of ‘clickers' (classroom response systems) by general and special education elementary teachers.
- 2/25/10 – Linda Capalbo presented on Making meaning of clinical supervision feedback
- 3/25/10 – Denise Guilbault presented on The Effects of Expressive Movement on the Rhythm Aptitude and Rhythm Achievement of Children in Kindergarten.
- 4/15/10 – Jim Betres presented on The Eden Park School Social Studies Databank Project
- 9/25/08 – Thomas Kochanek presented
- 10/23/08 – Martha Horn presented on: Professional Development and the Teaching of Writing: What Matters to Teachers?
- 11-20-08 – Emily Clapham presented on: Analysis of Physical Activity and Elementary Physical Education Curricula Using Heart Rate Monitors and Pedometers (2008)
- 1/29/09 – Nancy Cloud presented on: Sustained Action Research in Urban Classrooms to Promote Best Practices with English Language Learners
- 2/26/09 – Anne Goodrow presented on: A Progress Report: Challenges and Successes in Improving Elementary Mathematics
- Instruction at B.F. Norton Elementary School in Cumberland, RI
- 3/26/09 – Janet Johnson presented on "A Rainforest in Front of a Bulldozer": The Literacy Practices of Teacher Candidates Committed to Social Justice.
- 4/23/09 – Leslie Sevey presented on Documenting an Elementary Science Methods Course: Can Documentation Serve as Evidence of the Teaching and Learning in the Preparation of Pre-Service Candidates?
- 9/25/08 - 2:30p.m.-3:45p.m. – Using Digital Projectors & PowerPoint Pedagogy
- 10/16/08 - 2:30p.m.-3:45p.m. – Using Blogs & Wikis in the Classroom
- 11/13/08 - 2:30p.m.-3:45p.m. – Using Social Networking Sites
- 12/4/08 - 2:30p.m.-3:45p.m. – Podcasts & Podcasting
- 01/11- 05/11 - Hybrid and Online Learning Community (HOLC)
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics e-Workshops and e-Seminars
co-sponsored by the RI STEM Center and the RI Mathematics Teachers Association; All sessions held in the RI STEM Center
- Nov. 4 & Dec. 16: Problem Solving (Gr 6-8): 21 people registered
- Nov. 30 & Jan. 10: Math Games (Gr 3-5): 16 people registered
- Nov. 30: Implementing the Algebra Standard (Gr PK-2), Session 2: 6 people registered
- Dec. 9: Reasoning and Sense Making (Gr 9-12), session 2:4 people registered
- Jan. 24: "Mathematics Teaching & Student Learning: What Does the Research Say?” 28 people registered
- Feb. 3: “Developing Effective Instruction for Fractions, Ratios, and Proportional Reasoning” (Gr. 4-8)20 people registered
- April 4: e-Seminar: Number Sense (Gr. 6-8) 10 attended
- May 10: e-Seminar: Applying Response to Intervention (RTI)in Mathematics to Support All Learners